Saturday, June 16, 2012

Interlude: Why Does Samsung Galaxy Note Become A 'Cult' Hit?

Okay, most of you who has not use Samsung Galaxy Note must wonder why people like me and others like me chose to use Samsung Galaxy Note?

First of all, let's see what is wrong with Samsung Galaxy Note:

- Not yet a tablet, but a gigantic phone. Some even call it a 'phablet'. It is way too big as a phone and way too small as a tablet. The size is just wrong.

- Stylus? So yester-decade. Why would anybody wants to use a stylus pen while uaing finger is more accessible and you can never lose your finger, under normal circumstances.

- Android = battery hog. It has one.of the biggest battery in smartphones category but with 5.3" screen, 2500MAh barely last a day.


So there, those are the top 3 reasons most people thinls when they see Samsung Galaxy Note (SGNote).

So let's see why I decided to buy SGNote straight from the launching world tour:

1. 5.3" screen is the smallest and acceptable screen for multimedia enjoyment. Good enough to watch movies on leisure time.

2. It has a stylus. That means I have the fastest method of note taking. Just use the S Memo Lite (press.and hold the S Pen button and double tap on the screen) for quick note taking, simple sketching and annotation on pictures/photos/documents.

3. It's an Android. I love the freedom Android system provides.

4. It's a phone. For those who buy phone by contract, you might not consider this as an important point. However, I live in a country where prepaid SIM card is preferable to postpaid (contract based). So it is important for me to have a smartphone or a table that can make calls and SMS to renew Data Package monthly.

5. Notepad replacement. No more motepad or agenda book or diary. For those who thinks SGNote is tablet replacement, I must say It Is Never a Tablet replacement. It is a Notepad replacement, regardless what Samsung said.


Then when I have bought, explored and been using it daily, I have found several more benefits that despite being personal to me, I think you might find it useful:

+ My thumb size vs screen size. Being a + size person, my thumbs are fatter compared to others. With SGNote, due to its screen size, I can type in Portrait mode with less mistypes. By this reason, drawing and writing with my fingers are also less attractive to me.

+ Better cloud integration and data sync. I have upgraded my SGNote to ICS and I found some improvement in cloud data sync and integration. I am not worried that my MicroSD Card broke apart since all my photos are.backed up by Dropbox, my Contacs with Google Contacts, etc.

+ Turn SGNote sideways and have a better web browser for smartphones. In this case the screen size shines.

+ Some will argue tablet is better to browse webs, here's my answer. SGNote is lighter. I had iPad as my first tablet and then the original Samsung Galaxy Tab later. The weight of those tablets became uncomfortable after awhile. SGNote being a giant phone is still light at weight that you still feel comfortable using it over extended.period of time.

+ Helpful at work. I work as a Marketing person. Meaning I work with a lot of graphic materials. The utilization and integration of SGNote and S Pen is excellent to cope with graphic and documents annotation. Additional apps like Soonr Scribbler truly helps a lot.

I don't change gadget a lot. I only buy what I consider useful tools/gadgets. I think Samsung hit the jackpot with SGNote, although it is far from perfect. I do hope Samsung keeps developing the Galaxy Note product line and more creative ways of using a Smartphone that either newer or forgotten.

Feel free.to comment if you don't agree with my opinions and experience in this article. Or if you want to, feel free to add your own experience. Have a good weekend.

2 comments:

  1. hii .. Thanks for such a to the point detailed review of galaxy tabs..
    i am planning to buy a galaxy tab my self ur review is very useful for people like me who have specific requirements.. also i had like to know about any special offers and deals on galaxy tabs.. tough i found quite interesting deals on
    best deal of samsung tablet

    check them out guyss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for you info Sabkon. It should be helpful for those who are looking for special deals.

    Also, for those in Indonesia, visit Jakarta Fair in Kemayoran. They are having special pricing on Galaxy Tabs.

    ReplyDelete