Saturday, August 18, 2012

SGNote ICS Update: The Secret of ICS Deep Sleep

First of all, I would like to apologize for the hiatus in entering articles into this blog. My first job has taken so much time that I didn't have time to be active the way I like to be. Anyway, here is my latest finding.

ICS Update has now has reached 4.04. Not a major update, only clearing out some bugs.

Anyway, the first time anyone updates their SGNote to ICS, immediately he/she realizes that ICS is battery hogging. Meaning the battery don't last as long as it used to be on Gingerbread. Several solutions have been thrown into the Internet. The solution I used was using task killers, 2 of them. However, it doesn't solve the much of the battery hogging problems. Until I found the most effective way to solve it : the Deep Sleep Mode of ICS.

Some of you may not realized that the Deep Sleep Mode is very important in keeping Android Smartphones keep the battery lasting longer.

I found this in a unique way. Currently, I'm using 2 Android phones: Samsung Galaxy Note and HTC Desire VC. HTC Desire VC, being a dual on CDMA and GSM smartphone, usually is notorious to run out of battery in no time. However, HTC Desire VC's 1,650 Mah battery last 14-16 hours. Regardless only communication apps that I used on the phone, it is an amazing achievement.

So, I crawled the Internet for ideas, I found CPU Spy highly recommended by Wicked4u2c at YouTube. It is a small app that dig into Android CPU and system to show you what you Android phone processors are doing and how active it is. Here's the icon of the app:




It is a free app you can get from the Play store. What CPU Spy showed me was my SGNote hardly entered Deep Sleep Mode.

Depp Sleep Mode is an Android mode that you can activate by pressing power button to lock your screen or automatically after several minutes of no-activity on the phone. Since I always put my HTC Desire VC in Deep Sleep. Mode after usage, the battery last a lot longer.

So, I checked my battery activities IN Android Settings, the most active and battery draining hardware functioning is of course the screen. The other strangely active app, to my surprise, is my task killer. Since I set it at 1 hour task killing intervals, it always stayed active, thus my SGNote processor is hyper active almost all the time. So I uninstalled the one running 1 hour task killing intervals and kept the daily (once every 24 hour) task killing app, which I happened to install also in my HTC Desire VC. To my surprise, after several hours of changing my apps functionalities, my SGNote entered Deep Sleep Mode more, thus reducing battery drainage. Of course, it could also means ICS 4.04 fixed the drainage problems, but it certainly works. Here is what CPU Spy analyze of my system currently.



As you can see, the Deep Sleep Mode is extended every time I pressed Power button. This certainly helps a lot in extending my SGNote battery.

Feel free to try it.

Tips: there are several apps that do keep processor hyperactive. You need to check each and every apps installed before change the setting or uninstalled them.

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment